Online Application

FAQ > What should I do if I lose my ITIN number?

If you lose your Personal Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), you may not have to file another IRS W-7 form to request an ITIN to apply for a new one. The IRS will send you a copy of your number after verifying your identity. You will first need to contact the IRS and be asked a series of questions to verify your identity. If you are in the U.S., you can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040. Outside the U.S., the number to call is (long distance telephone charges may apply) 1-267-941-1000.

What would make the IRS not provide My lost ITIN?

You will not be given your lost ITIN if it has expired. If your ITIN was not included as part of a U.S. federal tax return at least once during the last three consecutive years, the number will automatically expire. In this case, you will need to renew your ITIN by submitting an ITIN form, also known as a W-7 tax form.

What is needed to renew an expired ITIN?

  • A check mark in the box Type W-7 Application form (Renew an existing ITIN)
  • A check mark on the box of the appropriate form W-7 indicating what type of applicant is
  • Your name and the name you were given at birth, if different
  • A current mailing address and proof of residency abroad
  • An original or valid passport, or copies certified by the passport issuing agency
  • Without passport, at least two other documents necessary for ITIN verification that prove your identity and foreign citizenship

Start the ITIN Online Renewal Process

To get started, our W-7 form instructions will show you how to request an ITIN number online. The support team at ITIN W-7 application is also available to assist you with the application process and answer any of your questions.


We use our own and third-party cookies to improve the browsing experience and offer interesting content and advertising. By using our website, you accept our Cookie Policy. Learn more I agree