FAQ > What is the process for applying for an ITIN?
To obtain an ITIN, or individual taxpayer identification number, first complete IRS Form W7. This document must be printed and submitted to the IRS, along with your tax return. It is also necessary to provide certified copies of approved documents establishing your identity and alien status. Once you receive the ITIN, the IRS will use it to identify you when filing income taxes in the United States.
Who fills out the W7 form
ITIN W7 The application can help you apply for your ITIN online. Simply answer the necessary questions and you will receive a PDF of your ITIN form that can be sent to the IRS. You will have to provide:
- The reason for your individual tax identification form filing number
- Your legal name
- A U.S. Mailing Address
- An external email address if applicable
- Date of birth and country of birth
- The countries in which you are a citizen
- Foreign identification number if applicable
- U.S. visa number if applicable
- college or university attend if applicable
The presentation of the required documents
ITIN needs documents providing proof of your identity and alien status to the IRS. A passport is the only document that serves both purposes. Otherwise, you will need to provide two separate documents. Accepted documents include:
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Identity Card
- U.S. or foreign driver's license
- U.S. Visa
- U.S. or foreign military identification card
- State or national identification card
- Civil birth certificate
- Foreign Affairs Voter Identification Card
If you decide to send copies of these documents instead of bringing the originals in person, you will need to have a certified copy with an official seal. This can be obtained at a U.S. consulate or embassy. Get a step-by-step guide through the entire ITIN application process by applying for ITIN W7. We can help you understand if you are required to have an ITIN and take the necessary steps to make sure you are in compliance with federal and state tax laws.