Online Application

FAQ >Do F-1 students need an ITIN?

If you are a student attending a college or university in the United States, you may wonder about your tax status while pursuing your studies and what documents you will need to submit. Income from a job on campus obviously must be reported, but did you know that there are other things you are required to report? Here is a look at the situations that require students to record ITIN numbers.

Who needs an ITIN?

Under U.S. law, international students attending school on an F-1 visa still have to report entry, but how to do so depends on their exact situation. If you have a job to earn extra money during your studies, you will need to obtain a Social Security number and use it when reporting your wages, as well as any grant money, scholarship, scholarship or stipend that exceeds your tuition and fees. For students who do not work but still receive money beyond their annual tuition and fees, it is still necessary to report the excess even though you do not qualify for a social security number. In this case, you will need to fill out an application for an ITIN and make sure it is on file at your college. If you are paying your own way completely or your grants exactly match your expenses, you do not have to go through this step as you have nothing to report.

Whether you are a first-time student or have been in the U.S. for a few years, don't put your visa at risk by not reporting your income. Even if you already have an ITIN, but it hasn't been used recently because of your financial situation, the IRS could have purged it. If it's time to apply for the first time, you don't know where to send W7 form correspondence or if you need help submitting an ITIN renewal application, rely on the ITIN W7 Application team to help guide you through the entire process.


We use our own and third-party cookies to improve the browsing experience and offer interesting content and advertising. By using our website, you accept our Cookie Policy. Learn more I agree