Online Application

FAQ > Can I claim the child tax credit with an ITIN?

If you are a foreign national living in the United States who does not qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN), you are still required to file a tax return for the money earned each year, and you do so by using a Personal Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). While this IRS program allows you to pay taxes, it prevents you from claiming the Earned Income Credit, which leads many to believe that you cannot claim other credits.

Start the ITIN application

The good news is that even if you need information on the ITIN number to file a return, you are still eligible for the Child Tax Credit (CTC) and additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), as long as you meet certain requirements:

  • Your children have to live with you for more than half the year
  • Each child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year
  • He or she must be your child, stepchild, foster or adopted child, sister, brother, stepbrother or a descendant of any of these relationships
  • Your child cannot give more than half of his or her own support
  • He or she must be a U.S. resident or citizen

How to apply

You may ask yourself, 'What do I need to get an ITIN number?' and the process is relatively simple. All you need to do is follow the instructions on Form W-7 to correctly fill out this important document and send it to the IRS along with a valid passport from your home country. If your passport has expired, you may also send in a combination of two items from the IRS list of approved documents to prove your identity and alien status. No matter if you have children who qualify for credit, you want to know where to send W-7 documents or if you simply need help with your ITIN renewal, trust the professionals at ITIN W-7 Application.


We use our own and third-party cookies to improve the browsing experience and offer interesting content and advertising. By using our website, you accept our Cookie Policy. Learn more I agree